Look and behold – the cake of your dreams.
Dream cake, that’s what Drommekage means in English. And I have to admit for me it’s pretty close to the cake of my dreams. 🙂 Especially if your dreaming of a simple, buttery cake to make. The Drommekage is a quick and easy cake that is soft and a bit crunchy on top and tastes heavenly. And it keeps well for several days. I had a 5-day old piece just this morning for breakfast. Perfect!
Here’s the recipe. The original recipe is from Nordic Food & Living, but I’ve adapted it a little bit.
250 gr flour
200 gr sugar
75 gr butter
200 ml milk
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
125 gr butter
150 gr brown sugar
2 tbsp milk
150 gr coconut shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 Fahrenheit (about 200 Celsius)
- Melt butter (or take it out of the fridge early so that it’s soft)
- Mix together wet ingredients
- Add dry ingredients
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes
- Mix together ingredients for the topping, starting with melting the butter in a saucepan.
- Add milk and brown sugar and let it boil for about 1-2 minutes
- Add coconut and stir well.
- Take out the cake after 20-25 minutes and spread topping evenly
- Bake for another 10 minutes